As a leading, global provider of essential minerals, we are committed to addressing the environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues that matter most to our stakeholders and that enable our company’s long-term sustainability.
We manage ESG impacts and improvements through multiple, integrated approaches. Our Core Values, Corporate Sustainability Principles and Code of Ethics and Business Conduct provide a foundation that emphasizes shared responsibility for sustainability and our commitments to safety, growth, transparency and stewardship.
Our 2019 report theme, “Navigating with Purpose,” highlights that as we move forward with our plans for growth, we do so with our Core Purpose and sustainability in mind. Using as a guide our responsibility to our shareholders, employees, communities and the environment, we continue to strive to reach our full potential as a company.
The structure and disclosures of our report align with leading sustainability reporting frameworks, including the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Standards and the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB). We have additionally looked to the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD) and U.N. Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to help inform our reporting.
Our 2019 ESG Report focuses on five key areas:
- Our Company: At the heart of Compass Minerals is a deep commitment to producing, innovating and safely delivering our essential products around the world when and where it matters. Grâce à la transformation responsable des ressources naturelles de la Terre, nous contribuons chaque jour à assurer la sécurité des gens, à nourrir le monde et à enrichir les vies. For over 170 years, we have embraced this purpose with a passion for quality, consistency and reliability.
- Our Products: We are committed to being thoughtful stewards of the products we innovate, manufacture, sell and distribute. Our essential products meet a critical, time-sensitive need for our customers – from the salt that keeps roadways safe in the winter, to specialty plant nutrients that enable growers to increase crop yields and quality. We recognize our responsibility to produce them safely, efficiently and sustainably.
- Notre main-d’œuvre: We value the critical role our employees play in our success. They are in fact our most important resource. It is paramount that we build a diverse and inclusive organization where our employees are safe, where they feel valued and heard, where they can thrive and grow professionally, and where they can take pride in their work and our company.
- Our Communities: Beyond the success of our company and our people, we are committed to supporting and creating value for our communities. We recognize that in many areas, we play an integral role in providing jobs and fostering local economic growth. On a larger scale, through our products, we support safety, sustainability and addressing food insecurity in communities around the world.
- Our Environment: Environmental stewardship is core to our culture and the success of our company. We are committed to managing our direct impacts on the environment, including water and energy consumption, as well as greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, by educating both our employees and business partners on the importance of our collective impact. We also understand the shared value of protecting the rich biodiversity in areas where we operate and take steps to ensure its resilience. And as a leading provider of essential minerals, we recognize the opportunity we have to help our customers manage their own impacts and be more resilient in the face of a changing climate.
Below, we have captured some of the highlights from our ESG efforts in 2019. However, we encourage stakeholders to read our full report to better understand each ESG focus area, the improvements we have made, and where we will strive to improve in the future. As noted, the 2019 ESG report is GRI and SASB aligned and includes an index mapping to our material sustainability topics.
Compass Minerals welcomes any and all feedback on our reporting, please feel free to reach out to us: Sustainability@compassminerals.com